What is it?
A half-day beach volleyball tournament for individuals who want to raise money for their favorite charity through a fun-in-the-sun tournament, with door and raffle prizes for participants, tournament prizes for the winners, and all proceeds go to charity!
When is it?
The 2020 Baltimore Beach Charity Challenge will have a moving date due to the uncertainty surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic. We are aiming for September 12th for our tournament date, however, this date is subject to change if warranted. Backup dates are being considered for as late as October of 2020. To ensure participation and registration for the tournament are still secure, we will follow up with all registrees and participants closer to tournament day when that date is decided.
Where is it?
The tournament takes place at Baltimore Beach – on Rash Field in Baltimore Inner Harbor – 300 Key Highway, Baltimore, MD 21202. Street parking is available on Key Highway, as well as at the nearby marina garage at 402 Key Highway. Parking is not permitted at Rash Field, however individuals may pull into the area to drop off materials before seeking parking.
What can I bring?
Guests are welcome to bring their own food and beverages. Lunch will be available for purchase on the day of the event; water and sports drinks will be provided for free. Guests are encouraged to bring lawn chairs, umbrellas, pop up tents, and anything else they would like to make themselves comfortable during the course of the day.
What can I expect during the day?
Here is an approximate schedule of the day:
- 110AM – 11AM: Optional clinic for individuals interested in brushing up their skills, led by Baltimore Beach staff. $10 per person.
- 11AM: Registration opens! Teams are encouraged to arrive prior to 11:30 to allow time to warm up, eat lunch, and get their personal belongings situated.
- 11:45AM: Registration closes. Grab bags and raffle prizes will be distributed.
- 12PM – 3PM: Tournament play. Each team will be assigned to a court with 2-4 other teams, based on their competition level selected. Teams will play all other teams assigned to their court at least once, more if time allows. Win and loss standings will be used to determine the playoff brackets.
- 3PM-3:45PM: Playoffs. Winners will be determined for each division. Teams eliminated from playoffs can play pickup volleyball, other yard games that will be available, or just relax.
- 3:45PM-4PM: Winners will be announced. Winning teams will be presented with prizes, and charities will be presented with large checks for photo ops.
Who can play?
Anyone who wants to get out on the sand and raise money for a charity of their choice! We encourage players of any skill level, or age, to join us! We ask that if participants are under the age of 18 their parents/guardians are present to chaperone. Equally welcome are family and friends of tournament participants.
What’s the tournament format?
Participants will have the option to play in either 4 v 4, or 6 v 6 format. Additionally, we will have 2 different levels of play: Veteran and Beginner, for both 4’s and 6’s. We encourage people that have played in organized tournaments or leagues to register in “Veteran” (Similar to A/B). We recommend that anyone new to volleyball, or feels that they are still developing their basic skill set, register in “Beginner” (Similar to B/C).
Mixed sex teams are encouraged but not required.
How do I support the charity of my choice?
First, each team or player must choose the charity they wish to support at registration. The Baltimore Beach Charity Challenge is highlighting and benefiting three organizations making a difference in the community during the COVID-19 pandemic, who need your financial help now! Playoff winners will also earn an additional cash prize for their chosen charity. The charities we are choosing to benefit this year are the Araminta Freedom Initiative, Meals on Wheels of Central Maryland, and the Station North Tool Library.
How do I register?
Go to https://charitychallenge.bmorebeach.com/register/ to access our online registration form.
Due to the effects of COVID-19 on our community (i.e. widespread financial distress and social upheaval), we’ve made some changes to our registration. Registration will now be partial or total donations to organizations that have been providing large amounts of relief to our communities during this pandemic. You may sign up as an individual, or as a team, following any of the options below. All registration options listed require documentation of your donation to one of the benefiting charities highlighted on the website.
There are two options, as described below:
- Make a $25 donation to one of the listed organizations bringing COVID-19 relief to our community, and pay a $15 registration fee on the day of the tournament.
- Make a $50 donation to one of the organizations mentioned above, and pay $0 in registration fees.
There are three options for team registration, as described below:
You and your friends can register through either of the two individual registration options listed above and provide a team name, to indicate the group you intend to play with, in the designated area on the online registration form. We will do everything on our part to honor your team request.
- Note: Each individual on the team needs to register and list their team name for us to group you all together.
You can make a larger donation and secure a team spot through either of the below options:
- Make a $250 donation to one of the listed organizations, and pay a $150 registration fee on tournament day. You may then organize and register a team of your choice of up to 10 people.
- Make a $500 donation to one of the listed organizations, and pay $0 in registration fees on tournament day. You may then organize and register a team of your choice of up to 10 people.
The charity challenge website will include instructions on how to make your donation contribution to one of the benefiting charities. Payment for additional registration costs may be made on the day of the tournament with cash or check. Credit card payments may also be accepted for day of registration costs, with additional fees for transaction costs being added in as necessary. Documentation of your charitable donation and registration payments may be made up until the start of the tournament, and are required to be paid in full for all individuals and teams to play.
What else should I know?
The Baltimore Beach Charity Challenge is a fiscally-sponsored project of Strong City Baltimore, which allows it to exist as a separate 501c3 entity apart from the Baltimore Beach business. All proceeds generated by the Baltimore Beach Charity Challenge go to this charity, and the benefiting charities. All sponsorship donations will receive letters of receipt as tax-deductible gifts, sent to the team captain within two weeks of tournament conclusion.
Contact Event Coordinator, Joshua Brusca, at firstname.lastname@example.org.